Monday, September 03, 2007

A ramble or two

Firstly, let me say I will be making a mass or 2 update posts soon. There just hasn't been time or inclination yet, but I think I will see it coming down the pike shortly.

I just finished watching a movie that I was highly impressed with seeing. In fact, because it was cable, I caught it all the way on the East Coast feed and watched the tail end of it again on the West Coast feed. Those of you with kids, it is certainly worth it to see, but there was a quote in it that struck me that even us as adults could carry away from it. The movie is Akeelah and the Bee. The scene is relatively early in the movie where Akeelah is over with Dr. Larabee at his house, the second time and he has started to work with her for the Scripps spelling bee levels. The Dr. (played by Laurence Fishburne) asks Akeelah(played by Keke Palmer) to go over to a wall to read a quote that he has framed on the wall.....
I'm taking the quote level from IMDB.com ( a great reference site for TV and movie stuff)

Akeelah: [quoting Marianne Williamson] Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
Dr. Larabee: Does that mean anything to you?
Akeelah: I don't know.
Dr. Larabee: It's written in plain English. What does it mean?
Akeelah: That I'm not supposed to be afraid?
Dr. Larabee: Afraid of what?
Akeelah: Afraid of... me?

That quote really hit me because of the way things are in my life at times, the self-doubt and such play so heavily and make it hard to see just how powerful I can be. We as individuals can be a formibile fighting force when we have our minds set and focused on our goals. In a respect, it makes me think of another important saying ; that at times the only person who can stop ourselves from being the best people we can be, are ourselves. Hopefully my light shines through more often than not so that your light will grow too!!! Hopefully you can take something from this and apply it to your own life on a constant basis.

Until later and Happy Labor Day!!!!

1 comment:

Margaret said...

One of my very favorite recent movies! Must watch it again!